My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Dirty Stinkin' Meme

Only for love and adoration of the Cookie Monster do I complete this task! I'm no good at remembering song names, so let me apologize in advance.

1. A track from your early childhood

When I was little...like two years old...my dad would come home from work and listen to music while mom made dinner. I'd take my chubby little baby legs and waddle over to my dad, plant my round baby bottom on his belly, and giggle until he let me have a round at the headphones. I heard all sorts of things back then (back when my dad had taste in music). Let's settle for the Beatles "Happy Birthday" song. That became the special song with me and my dad, and he even played it in my ear LOUDLY on my 16th birthday just to be...well, obnoxious. That's a specialty of my family, you see.

Beatles - Birthday Lyrics
You say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too--yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

Yes we're going to a party party
Yes we're going to a party party
Yes we're going to a party party.

I would like you to dance--Birthday
Take a cha-cha-cha-chance-Birthday
I would like you to dance--Birthday
Dance

You say it's your birthday
Well it's my birthday too--yeah
You say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

2. A track that I associate with my first love

My first love was my ex husband. I just haven't had many in my life. Three, in fact, has been it. But I'd say that the song I associate with that whole budding relationship is the Velvet Underground's Sister Ray. "Please don't stain the carpet...don't you know you'll stain the carpet?" Damn. I don't even want to get into the reasons why that song would be it. But there it is.

3. A track that reminds me of a holiday trip

For some reason I'm drawing a blank except for the Farw Rawr Rawr Rawr Rah (Deck the Halls) sung by the Chinese waitstaff in A Christmas Story.

4. A track that you like but wouldn't want to be associated with

Bust A Move by Young MC (or maybe I Like Big Butts by Sir Mix A Lot)

5. A track that accompanied you while you were lovesick

Thank You by Dido

6. A track that you have probably listened to most often

Hmmm...what, throughout my whole life? Probably Led Zepplin's Gallows Pole.

7. A track that is your favorite instrumental

Does classical music count? Vivaldi's Four Seasons then

8. A track that represents one of your favorite bands

What, like a song by a group I really like? Hmmm. Elevation by U2

9. A track that represents yourself best

I've always thought of Meredith Brooks' Bitch song as my theme. However, a nice back up would be Modest Mouse's Float On

10. A track that reminds you of a special occasion (which one)

THE IMPERIAL DEATH MARCH! Oh yeah baby. Do you even have to ask? The first viewing of Star Wars in the theatre is a special occasion!

11. A track that you can relax to

Je Ne Veux Qu'elle by Marc Lavione

12. A track that stands for a really good time in your life

Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler

13. A track that is currently your favorite

Amanda got me hooked on Anna Nalick, and the song I love most is called Breathe.

14. A track that you would dedicate to your best friend

Save Yourself by Stabbing Westward. She'd know why.

15. A track you think nobody but you likes

apocalypta, hall of the mountain king. You'd love it if you listened, though!

16. A track that you like especially for its lyrics

Well, since its lyrics are a favorite poem of mine...Loreena McKinnet, Lady of Shalott

17. A track that you like that is neither English nor German

creid by Yasunori mitsuda ...it's Irish

18. A track that lets you release tension best

Sugarcult, Bouncing Off the Walls Again

19. A track that you want to be played at your funeral

I'm having a funeral? Sounds so bleak. Can't you all just get drunk and tell great stories about me instead? Hum. Ok, well, then...Tal Bachman, She's So High. Not only is it appropriate on some levels but it reminds me of Alex. He used to sing that one to me all the time with the most adorable goofy grin on his face! So, it's come to mean a lot to me. Therefore, I think it's a great song to play at my funeral. Well, if I have one. I still think y'all should just go get drunk.

20. A track that you'd nominate for the best of all times category


Imagine by John Lennon. I just like the message, and it's appropriate that the best song should come from some facet of the Beatles.

Bite me. I tag no one except Alex the slack, who should post his blog on his bewilderment on the male/female issues first and THEN fill out this tag ;) He can do it in the reverse order if he must, I suppose...hehe!

7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Ooooo! I thought I was the only person who liked Tal Bachman.

The best Anna Nalick songs are In My Head and Consider This. That whole CD seems to be a bit autobiographical of the last 18 months of my life. (Luckily, those months are over forever and ever!)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

What, no death metal? Try again.

And I like In the Hall of the Mountain King.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I ever get a spare moment to catch my breath and write, I'll do this one simply because I can't help it. Reflections on music occupy most of my time anyway, in the deepest recesses of my warped mind.

And yes - there will be death metal. (Probably.) =o)

10:07 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Are you sure these are songs? I never heard of any of them.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks dearest :)
I will comment on your choices when I make my own post. Many of them where ones I would have guessed.

In the meanwhile, I have at last made that blog post you wanted ;)

3:06 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Wow. Cool post.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I tagged you with another meme. So sorry.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home