My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Oddness

When I arrived home on Wednesday (well, I was back at Alex's on Monday night, but then I drove back to my house on Wednesday), all sorts of crappy things hit me in the face. The oddness, I suppose, is that...well, I'm completely at peace. I'm calm. I am not phased. This is strange. I think "normalacy" would be to be upset and frantic. But, somehow, I just feel that it'll all be ok.

I think that my reaction is hormone based. MOST weeks/days out of the month, I am blessed with a very settled outlook on life. However, I've noticed that there are a couple of days during the month wherein NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING...can go wrong and I'll be fretting, worrying, and having an anxiety attack. Thankfully, yesterday was not such a day.

I came home around noon and the electricity was off in the apartment. Nobody else had their electricity off in my building. I had paid my bill. So, what happened? I opened up the refrigerator and freezer and discovered that the electricity had been off for days. DAYS. No more food. That's it.

I called up the electricity company. They insisted that they did NOT turn off my electricity by accident, something I suspected because my neighbor is being evicted. They said they'd come out and see what was wrong. I waited around an hour or so, and nothing happened. I left to pick up the kids. When I came back, the electricity was back on. I called up the electricity company. They said they didn't know how it was off or how it came back on. They did NOTHING. Must be an internal problem. Well, maintenence came out to the apartment and checked it out. The guy is super nice and showed me to my satisfaction that it wasn't a problem with my wiring. He told me he suspected that the electricity company didn't want to admit their error, nor would. He said, it's more than coincidence that the electricity is off for days but then comes back on within two hours of you calling them. Yeah, I agree. Regardless, I now have lost all the food in my refrigerator...AGAIN. I lost it all in December during the ice storm that had my electricity off for days too. Sigh. So, I thought, well, that's $200 worth of food gone...I like to stockpile food when it's on sale, you see. My freezer always has lots of meat options. I used to do what Foilwoman does and buy the meat on the last day for a discount, but I did that through Harris Teeter...and HT was bought out by Bi-Lo around here. I don't know of another grocery store that does the discounted meats thing. Therefore, if it's on sale for a good price, I buy three and stuff it in my freezer.

Ok, so it's gone. I already had to buy replacement food.

THEN!

I called up my ex to make sure he remembered I'd be picking the kids up from school. He sheepishly told me that while the kids were at his father's farm last weekend, a horse rolled onto Ari's leg.

No shit. ROLLED onto her leg. Now, for the record, my ex used to break horses. He's very, very skilled with them. I would have let Ariana ride a horse WITH him, so that's not my objection here. What I am ticked about is that it's Star she rode...the very same horse that bucked and threw me years ago, and who is well known to like to buck. What the hell? Why put your child on a horse like that one? Why not a more mellow horse? Sigh.

So, then my ex decides to drive Ari to the best hospital in the area. That means he drove her to a hospital where she's not covered by her insurance (yes, I have no health insurance, but the kids have it, so...). I understand why he did it, but still! Basically, his family lives in rural nowhere and the hospital that would be covered is considered not good enough for even the local livestock to go to. Therefore, it's pay in full. Half is mine. Sigh. The Xrays show no break or fracture. However, she was a bit swollen and bruised due to a HORSE falling ON HER, so she was on crutches for a few days.

I kept waiting on Wednesday night for an anxiety attack or sobbing or a fear of "where will I get the money for the hospital bill?" It never came. Instead, I realized I just felt that it was great that Ariana did NOT break her leg nor become more injured. The kids are back with me, and they are happy and in good spirits. My electricity IS back on, we DO have food, and we WILL get to see Alex this weekend. In all actuality...it's ok. The money? Well, it always works out. Hell, my whole life has always worked out. Sure, there's been shit and crap here and there, but eventually I reach that sandbar so I'm not drowning anymore, and the water is cool, and the sun is warm, and it just feels good.

Let's just say I'm glad this is a GOOD hormone day!

11 Comments:

Blogger WordWhiz said...

It's just the soothing qualities of Vegas, baby. When things get tough, the tough go to Vegas.

Oh yeah...

7:37 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

So, your ex? he's still alive then? Or have you offed him and now he's parked in your freezer with it's newly reconnected electricity keeping him cool?

Love your attitude...some days there really isn't any other way to look at this is there? You know shit is gonna happen, so you just ride it out and hope you keep your head above it.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Ari's okay. If I'd heard a horse had rolled on one of my kids, I think I would have passed out or something.

Here's to excellent sales at the supermarkets today so that you can restock inexpensively! *raises coffee cup to computer screen*

5:50 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

This is why we Japanese people are superior to you. I buy my food fresh, except for stuff that doesn't go bad like soba noodles, rice, and soy sauce. If my refrigerator goes down, the only thing I'll do is channel Dennis Hopper from Blue Velvet - "My beer's gonna get warm. One thing I can't fuckin' stand is warm beer - makes me fuckin' puke!"

If you haven't seen that movie, you should watch it just for the profanity. Dennis hopper uses the f-word nearly every sentence, and makes it sound like he meant it every single time.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I'm kind of having a heart attack FOR you.

I'm glad things are OK, though.

8:10 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

"Hell, my whole life has always worked out. Sure, there's been shit and crap here and there, but eventually I reach that sandbar so I'm not drowning anymore, and the water is cool, and the sun is warm, and it just feels good."

That's a REALLY good analogy.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Kira: One time offer. I can't maim my not-soon-enough-to-be-ex-husband, but I would very much like to take part in some ritual torture of your lets-a-horse-known-to-be-wildish-fall-on-his-daughter-moron-of-a-former-spouse. Please send address and description now. Thanks.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Ok, I admit it: I turned off the electricity AND scared the horse. Guess I better bring extra cheese next time.... ;)

7:21 PM  
Blogger rumour said...

i think the statement about electricity horses, and cheese was actually from amelia earhardts last diary entry.

4:43 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'm pretty sure it was the electric company's mistake. Of course, if they admitted to that, they would have been liable for damages--e.g., $200 worth of groceries.

I can see the silver lining in your daughter's brush with the horse. Years from now, she'll have a war story to tell her friends, a means by which to build culture cache.

On the other hand, I haven't had health insurance for awhile, so it surprises me that a person can be covered in one locale, or with certain hospitals, and not others. That, in essence, would effectively prohibit anyone from traveling anywhere. Worse yet, if your ex lived outside an area where your daughter's insurance status was compromised, wouldn't that be an argument against joint custody or visitation rights?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--did you know that the fudge block from the goat farm is a single sized serving for breakfast? Let's fetch breakfast on Thursday then...LOL

WW--you may have a point. Either that or the alcohol poisoning I had from the tequila night has still numbed my senses...haha!

Lisa--offing him provides life insurance. I think that answers your question :)

Angie--well, it wasn't FREE, but I used coupons and sales and we have food. So, life is ok.

Grant--so, you're japanese now too, eh? I thought you just LUSTED after japanese women! my bad ;)

Laura--thanks for having my heart attack. I appreciate it.

NWJR--thanks! It seems to fit. There are good patches and bad, you know, and the bad ones DO feel like drowning!

FW--so good of you to help! The torture will involve multiple horses rolling over him. Thanks.

Joe--yes. Bring more cheese. That'll fix everything :)

Rumor--and how would you KNOW??? So YOU are the reason she went down! YOU did the electricity and stuff!

Xdell--he normally lives right near me. Otherwise, honestly? I'D move. This was a vacation. And as far as the rest goes, my daughter already turned it into quite the story at second grade this past week...haha!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home