My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, September 11, 2006

Yes, I am still alive

I feel badly that I've not been responding to comments lately, but...wow. I'm overwhelmed right now with too much to do. Every day that I head to bed, I realize that I haven't done half of what I need to have done that day. It's frustrating, but I remind myself that the job at CU is SO much better right now, and next semester will be a breeze.

See, I already know I'll be teaching four 103's next semester. My name will be hooked up to classes sometime this fall...WOW. At Tech, I always got my schedule a day or two before classes started. This planning ahead thing is frighteningly pretty. Anyway, that's what I'm teaching this semester, so by next semester I'll have an idea of what to do or not do...within the limits that have been given to me, that is.

I now have health insurance, AND dental. The kids too. Woohoo!

I have to change over my ss card and all the paperwork. That sucks. I need to fill out all this stuff for Alex to get his green card. That won't be fun, plus it's expensive: $190 application fee. I swear our embassy makes a killing. In France, if you call the American embassy, it costs a flat fee of like $15, charged to your credit card, just to talk to them. Americans know how to squeeze those bucks out of anything! There's stuff to juggle with the kids and their school. There's a ton of papers to review and evaluate (I'm not supposed to/allowed to grade them). I have to work on this grant thing too. And read the book more. Arg! I know it'll get better. This is just an intense beginning to the school year is all.

I ran into a former student from Tech at a local mexican restaurant today, while I was there eating lunch with Amanda. She was so distressed that I wasn't there at Tech anymore (she still is...for now). I gave her the scoop on my situation, and she was glad that I was now at Clemson. After a little discussion, I found out one other simple fact: it's not just the English department that has had teachers just...removed...for no reason either. And the grumbling amongst the students is that the different departments who removed teachers removed...just the good ones! What kind of holy shit sense does that make???? Oh well. I guess HR at Tech has taken some crack. Anyway, it was good to see her. Sadly, I didn't remember her name right away because I'm awful with names, but I knew EXACTLY who she was and her whole life story as we often chatted. I also then, after Amanda dropped me off in front of my building, ran into ANOTHER former student...my best student ever from any class. Oh wait, he can have a tie with Bennett. So, David gave me a hug and we chatted a bit. It's so cool because he's one of a handful of former students I've seen now at CU. It's not like it's a new place, what with former students and friends there.

Married life is great. We haven't destroyed any more furniture (EDIT: or ourselves, Valerie! Sorry to have worried you! Haha!). I still laugh when I think of Greg's idea of mounting the headboard over the fireplace. Haha! Our friend Eric has now decided to call Alex "King Kong" as a result, and that amuses the crap out of both of us. Alex is just as busy with his schooling right now as I am with mine. It looks like the way his classes go, he'll be swamped through November. Still, he's been getting great grades, and I'm very proud of him. Most American MBA students aren't doing as well as he is despite already walking in with an understanding of American business terminology. He has the disadvantage of having to learn so very many new terms, plus he has to make sure to not get the French system confused with the American (like in his accounting class). Yet he still does so well, and he works hard on all his tasks. If I were as motivated as Alex, I'd already have a couple more degrees and a few published books...haha!

So, anyway, folks...that's why I'm just not able to blog as much right now: school/work. It'll calm down eventually. I remember what it was like when I just started up at Tech, and I KNOW it calms down eventually. And when I get my first paycheck Sept. 22nd, I'll remember why I'm so happy to be at CU. Haha!

11 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Here's another comment for you to ignore. And if you're going to complain about your Grant problems, at least remember to capitalize my name. :p

2:03 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I'm glad you're back and that you're getting a PAYCHECK!!! Money is nice.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Just say,"Thank you for my wonderful life" every night when you lay down exausted...and kiss Alex good night.

Keep us posted when you can, I am just a worry wart.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is always tough, even when it's good. Last year at this time, I was in the same boat you are now, with the exception of the just getting married thing, lol. It got much better by second semester. Just find a nice stress reliever... one that preferably only involve destroying furniture belonging to other people... and you'll be fine. =o)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Roll on Sept 22. And re. the furniture, I thought newly marrieds were supposed to trash most of it whilst' getting it on' so panic not. Dont stress about not blogging, we'll still be here when you get back

2:23 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

No explanations needed. We realize you have things to do.

I don't know how long you were at Tech, but I suspect that firing all the "good" teachers might have had something to do with budgeting. Right now, because of my seniority, I can't really teach in the CUNY system anymore because they would have to pay me as an Adjunct Assistant Professor and they are so very short on money. It's much cheaper to hire a lot of faculty who will work for a thousand dollars per credit hour less.

Give my regards to King Knog. I sympathize with what he's going through in terms of the academic stuff. As far as the marriage and the green card are concerned, he's on his own.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

I'm beginning to think that the beginning of the school year rates up there with Christmas...NOT in the fun factor, but in the frantic, too-busy to breathe arena.

5:44 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Changing one's name is no easy task! Glad married life is agreeing with you.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Married is good. Health insurance is good. Dental is good. Ripping headboards out of walls is good. Busy is good.

Wow--it's all good, girl!

5:32 PM  
Blogger sands of time said...

Im not surprised with so much going on you dont get time to comment.Alex will adjust eventually.I know im from Wales and i found it difficult to adjust to the canadian way of life for a time.

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

8:14 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--HR idiots indeed. I don't think you are allowed to slow down ever in your job, though. Just thought I'd tell you the bad news.

Grant--you're never a problem, so it can't be you, right? ;)

Laura--the first one comes in on the 22nd. It took them forever to get me into the system!

Valerie--I don't have to just kiss, do I? I mean, there's just so many headboards and so little time :)

Angie--my biggest stress reliever still lives, unfortunately, two hours away. I only get to access it on weekends! But, I suppose it's still better than my stress relief being located in France!

Rachel--you know, newlyweds probably ARE supposed to do that, but I skipped that part with my ex so I wasn't expecting it this time around...haha!

X.dell--I only cost $1/hr than the other adjuncts due to my senority! I can hardly think there's that much of a budget crunch that they can't spring that....

Juanita--yes, esp with the kids starting up the new year as I do too. I am going insane. No wait, I AM insane, so never mind. I feel like my brain is disappearing, though.

NWJR--yes, although this name at least is nice and short :)

EM--Well, I can't disagree that it's been good stress this term!

TOL--Wales is beautiful! I went all over Wales, from Cardiff to Holy Head, back in '93. I think it's hard for any person to adjust to a new nation, no matter how cool that place may be. I like Canada, though--it's the cold that gets to me, but otherwise, I like it! My brother Mark and his family live in Calgary.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home