My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, October 27, 2005

I am an Aes Sedai



Isn't my daughter gorgeous? (You can click to make it bigger)

I'm crap at lying. I can't do it. Everybody would know if I lied...my body language will show it alone. However, I CAN evade. I'm the most evasive woman ever if I don't want to reveal information. It's a skill, really. I feel like I'm the finest of the Aes Sedai from Jordan's Wheel of Time series. They aren't allowed to lie; they ARE allowed to evade, and so the words out of their mouths are not often the straight truth.

An example of this behavior reared its head today when I was at an awards presentation for my daughter. Ariana received this award called the "Terrific Kid" award at her school. One child from each grade is selected. The word terrific is supposed to stand for: thoughtful, enthusiastic, respectful, responsible, inclusive, friendly, inquisitive, capable. She had no idea that we'd be there today, nor that she was getting the award. The ex and I received letters in the mail about it and told to RSVP (note: I had to force my ex to RSVP. He complained. He wanted me to do it. Well, the farthest I'll go is to tell you that if you don't, you can't show up! I think he called). I was upset at first because I have class at that time.However, my boss is great and she said to cancel class so I could attend. Yay! After watching this little ceremony, I had breakfast with the ex and an excited Ariana. We discussed future dates for him to have the kids. I stated that next Friday would be great because I had plans. "What plans?" he growled jealously.

I've had issues lately with the ex being very jealous of Alex, and it's made me uncomfortable. I didn't want to say, well on Friday I drive down two hours, fetch Alex, drive back. He stays the night. Then we go with Angie and Amanda to the Clemson/Duke game. Then I need Sunday free because I drive him home. We were having a lovely morning, and I had no desire to remove the focus from my daughter.

"Oh, going to the Clemson/Duke football game," I replied.

"With whom?" he said, looking at me suspiciously.

"Angie and Amanda!"

Note: there is no lie in that sentence. I just neglected the part wherein I also was taking Alex. Well, he assumed that the three of us were going on another Drunkfest 2005 escapade, so he grinned and then babbled about how great it was that I have friends to hang out with and how fantastic it is that I socialize more nowadays. Well, yes, I couldn't disagree with that one, dear ex! We discussed the tailgating aspect, and then the topic was switched. Whew!

*****

Tonight's wine review: Smoking Loon Merlot 2003, a California wine. It's my first taste of this wine, and I have to say I really am enjoying it. There's a berry flavor to it with a very faint hint of oak. Maybe vanilla oak? I dunno. I'm just adjusting to this "orienting my tastebuds and focusing" type of deal with wine. I was raised with occasional fine wines on my palate, and it's sort of like learning a language: the earlier, the easier it is from thenceforth. So, I KNOW I can learn. I just need to train *coughs* and drink more wine *coughs again* Anyway, it's a cheap bottle of wine really at approx. $8, and I rather like it. I seem to be very fond of merlot and shiraz these days. I love the rhone wines too, but that's a similar grape, so no surprise there. That is, the French label by region, not grape varietal, so if I say I like rhone wines, it can mean either white or red wines from that region (they have both). I mean reds, and the usual grape in the northern rhone region is the syrah for the reds, which is the same thing as a shiraz. I love that spicy quality the rhones and the aussie shiraz has! Mmmmm Rhones like hermitage or cotie rotie or chateauneuf du pape. Although technically, a chateauneuf du pape would be from southern rhone so there might be some grenache or mourvedre grapes in there with the syrah. YUM!

I don't drink alcohol that tastes like shit. What's the point?

******



So, wanna see the letter Ariana's teacher wrote to her for the award she received?

I chose Ariana Newton as Terrific Kid!

I look out over my classroom, and I spy a tossled-haired, brown-eyed child with an eager look on her face. Ariana is very interested in learning something new. And she always has important facts to bring to her classmates. She is kind and considerate. She's very smart but doesn't want to brag about it; she only wants to help others. She always thinks the best of others, too. Ariana makes a great "Terrific Kid!" She makes a great role model for her peers!

(then the teacher signed it)

Yeah, that's MY BABY! *struts to and fro proudly* OH yeah, OH YEAH! MY DAUGHTER!

******

I dropped by to see Jared in his classroom for a moment before I left the school since I was already there. He wanted to know why I was at school. I told him that I came to see Ariana receive an award. Jared's response?

"Where's MY award?"

HAHAHA! I told him, well, maybe next time, honey...

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot even imagine how wonderful that must be to hear those things about your daughter. To be smart is one thing, but the real prize is knowing that she's a good person to her classmates too. Congrats to you also Kira :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

She is indeed beautiful. She looks a lot like you. I remember telling my ex one time that I had plans and he asked "What plans." The next time I had him away from the kids, I pointed out that, if I WANTED to state the nature of my plans in front of the kids, I would have done so. Saying, "I have plans" indicates that those plans are not to be discussed right now. I wouldn't ask him "What plans??" in a similar situation. How stupid are they???

6:40 PM  
Blogger April said...

Your daughter is VERY beautiful and you have soooooo much to be proud of that's for sure! Ethan will love her. He told me he likes blond hair over brown or red. So can we set the wedding date for Valentines Day, 2022? I figure that will give them time to go to college and graduate. Unless of course either of them decide to get their Masters or PhD. But we can discuss those details later, we've got time. I'm thinking a nice yellow decor, with plenty of Chiquita banana stickers for everyone to wear on their noses. =)

Aside from hanging out with your two awesome friends and beyond wonderful boyfriend, YOUR GOING TO THE CLEMSON/DUKE FOOTBALL GAME!!!!! Holy shit, how exciting is that???? Ok, so I know you're not a football fan, but I am and I'm just about pissing my pants thinking about it!!

I need to start liking the cooking channel or something because that's on all year round. I don't ever get this excited during the spring and summer. I actually miss football and get a little depressed. I need help. (huh, like that's a secret!)

Again, I think it's WONDERFUL that your daughter can win that award. Just another reflection of what an awesome mother she has!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger April said...

Let me rephrase that in a grammatically correct way; YOU'RE GOING TO THE CLEMSON/DUKE FOOTBALL GAME!!

I know that the football game is not "yours" and it drives me crazy that I do this all of the time. See I have to think about what I'm writing before I just start typing shit. What a concept, I know.

Again, I need help.

7:12 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

well how could your daughter fail to be beautifuk and wonderful with yuo as a mum? it must have been wonderful to be told how good she is, and also that she is a role model for her classmates as well.

and before i go, american football isnt i real sport! its just rugby with extra padding!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Not to be mean, but I think you're a better liar than you think. Evasiveness is one thing, but an outright omission is just another type of lie. That's why the courts use the phrase "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."
Personally I recommend the direct approach, i.e. "None of your god damned business. I divorced you so I wouldn't have to answer to you." Then stab him in the eye with your fork.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I'm with Grant. But you could've just come out with, "I'm going to pick up Alex for some hot monkey love. We want to spread the lovin' all over the apartment, but if the kids are there, I guess we'll wait until after bedtime. That's OK, though because Alex knows how to wait...no wham, bam, thank you ma'am...(looking whistfully past the ex)...God, I've never known that sex could be as good as this".

(I had to edit that b/c I remembered that Ari was sitting with you...this is the PG version).

THEN, you stab your ex in the eye with your fork.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ari is beautiful - just like her mom! What nice things her teacher had to say!

I think you handled the situation with ex pretty well. I mean, granted, it isn't his business or whatever; but this was a day to be happy about Ari's accomplishments. Why cloud it with other things (that ex can't seem to get over anyway, so you can deal with them later)?

Matthew is ALWAYS wondering where his award is too. No matter what he does (and he does plenty too), he always thinks it's less that Anna. I wish I could give you some kind of advice on how to fix that, but I think it's just natural sibling rivalry, lol. He'll be TERRIFIC Kid before he knows it though! =o)

2:50 PM  
Blogger April said...

Laurita, you've got me busting a gut with your suggestion. That would have not only been priceless but a Kodak moment. Monkey love HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Never knew sex could be this good....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ailyn said...

she is beautiful! you are blessed

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home