My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Back Again!

Ok, so first of all I know I'm behind on my damn emails. I'm sorry. It's been a hellacious week and then I was gone this weekend. I didn't have access to the net since Friday AM until now. Well, technically when I arrived back at the house at 1a I COULD have checked, but I chose to sleep some first.

Except for all the driving, the weekend was great! I was most excited to see my friend Trish. I haven't seen her in forever. I adore Trish. Trish is brilliant and fun and interesting. I think that Mesabi Red would love her. She's good at just about everything, but her main love is science. She has a master's from UNC in Ecology and watches the discovery channel for entertainment. I was able to meet her fiance this weekend too...which was a surprise. I wasn't sure if she'd ever get married at all. I mean, handfasted sure (that's religiously way more up her alley), but married? When I asked how long they'd been engaged, they both scrunched up their faces and tried to remember. I had to laugh! The answer was: we think two months ago was when we decided for tax purposes to go ahead and get married. Later on, I leaned to Alex and told him if he ever proposed to me like that, the answer was no. Haha!

It was great to hang out with my brother and my sister-in-law, plus my nephew and niece a bit as well. They want us to come back for Thanksgiving. I probably will try to arrange that. I think the kids would have a great time there, and holidays are for family anyway.

I think one of the most entertaining parts of the weekend was to show Alex The Mansion (as I like to call it) that my brother's family has. He's just rarely seen anything approximating 5000 square feet (if ever). In Europe, there's a lot of folks scrunched into a small area, and so the dwellings are just smaller. So are the appliances and everything else. He was amazed by the whole set up and kept mumbling about how much SPACE there was in the house.

The funniest part of the weekend for me was the moment that Alex revealed that yes, indeed, he is male. My brother Ken has this one room that we call the Man Room. I also like Laura's phrase that she used for a similar room in her house once: the testostaroom. It has a huge, mammouth TV in it with surround sound. Watching anything on that sucker is an experience that can only be beat at the movie theatre. Alex was wide eyed and drooling as he examined this room. Then, that night--and mind you he has NO memory of saying this, but I just thought I'd die laughing when he mumbled it--Alex was nearly all the way asleep and he had one last thing to say. It was a little slurry as he was so groggy and almost asleep:

"I like your brother a lot and I respect his TV."

Congrats, Alex! Your man card is secure despite your lack of enthusiasm about sports! Haha!

7 Comments:

Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

"respect his TV"...that's too funny!

Someday, I hope to have a respectable TV again. The only one I own is about a 13 incher. It's not worthy of anyone's respect at all.

I wanted to let you know re: speech therapy. Every state provides speech therapy for FREE starting from BIRTH (if a child qualifies). So there should be something in your area. If you're concerned about little Elmer, call and arrange a screening. Your Board of Ed should know who to contact. Good luck!

6:13 AM  
Blogger April said...

I am so laughing out loud at work right now, oops I might get in trouble for laughing.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. How was the wedding? Did you have any of the feelings you had mentioned?

A woman might take offense to Alex's comment if it were directed at her, but a man could care less if you respect him as long as you respect the tv. HA HA HA!! Too funny!

9:51 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Like wife above, my 13" TV gets no respect - lots of chuckles though! Paul is trying to talk me into one of those big plasma things. Yeah, right! Not happening!

12:10 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

but did the telly have text?!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I guess my little TV and newly disconnected cable wouldn't earn me much respect either. I could live without television...of course, I have managed to live quite well for 27 years without a penis, so the above statement may be completely unqualified.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh... so that's why Sam tries to convince me that we should invest in a larger tv. He needs more respect from the male community!

Trish sounds great :) Eco-Geeks unite!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

SC--I'm sure that Alex would respect your TV if he saw it! *she says reassuringly* :)

Laura--mine is 27". No bells and whistles. Hey, it does the job! And thanks for the speech info. I'll watch him and see if by the time he turns 5 he improves. If he doesn't, well, then, I guess I need to check into resources just in case.

April--exactly. My brother beamed, thrilled that Alex respected his TV. That matters FAR more than Alex respecting HIM! haha!

Mandy--tell Paul that if he buys it for you, you're happy to have it...haha! I won't get plasma (even if I had the money) because the images can be burned into the screen if the image has been paused for too long. That sounds frightening to spend thousands of dollars on a TV only to ruin it by pausing something for too long or whatnot.

Tony--I dunno...ask Alex! He sure as hell noticed more than I did!

Amanda--welcome to the cable-less club! You and I are probably the ONLY local members, esp. during football season.

MR--yup. He wants his man-buddies to come over and respect his TV too. And yes, Trish is awesome. She's got a fantastic sense of humor too, which makes it all even better.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home