My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Progress Report

Ok, so I didn't realize that in second grade, Ariana would get a progress report mid-term for the first quarter. Ignorant me!

First of all, I'm really proud of her. She's about two points away from being a straight A student. If she pulls up her language arts grade from a 91 to a 93 by the end of this first quarter, she'll get there. It's the spelling tests that are dragging her down. She has a 95 in reading comprehension, which is graded separately from the spelling and writing exercises.

Second of all, she's more from my family than I am. See, remember: I'm the medieval lit person in the middle of three engineers, a math major, and an orthodontist. "One of these things is not like the other! One of these things just doesn't belong!" My daughter has a 100% average in math and science.

WTF???

HOW do you get a 100 in math? I've never done that before in my life! But then I remembered that all the tests of hers in math I've signed to go back to class were 100's and she keeps getting little rewards for being one of two or the only one to get a 100 on X math test, so...I shouldn't be surprised. Right?

And a 100 in science? My God!

Wow!

******

Here, in case you wonder how much of a pain in the ass I can be sometimes...Alex is staying at his boss' house until Monday when he moves into his own apartment there in Columbia. He, being ever helpful, just got up to assist in dinner preparations while we talked on msn (I'm sure you can figure out who has what title on msn):

Kira Rocks!! says:
Just laid the table

Mange ta merde et crève ! says:
You set the table, or you had sex with it?

Kira Rocks!! says:
LMAO

******

And for those not proficient in French, that translation of my title is "eat shit and die." Told ya it was the wrong time of the month to mess with me...haha!

10 Comments:

Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

That's great for Arianna! Get her interested in some high-paying science field while she's young!!!

You didn't give Alex that title, did you??? :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

You're too cute!! And your daughter is TOO SMART! Math and Science?? Forget about it!

7:06 AM  
Blogger GM said...

Hah! See, I knew I had a reason to be frightened of small children-types! 100 in math/sci... Eerie. :P

Also, that must be one happy table now...

8:14 AM  
Blogger April said...

I was with your daughter in Math and Science.

Midieval lit, spelling, verbs, nouns, adjectives, conjunctions, grammar, etc. forget about it. *in my best NY accent*

Not that I speak ebonics, or am unable to comprehend what I'm reading. It's just not my forte. Although I wish I was able to write as well (or is it good?) as you.

Oh, stop having sex with the table. You might get yourself a splinter down there!! ;o)

8:26 AM  
Blogger A* said...

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

He's funny. :)

Jesus H. Christ! A 100% in Math? Only time I came close was geometry, no numbers mostly theories. You know I am with you sister... lit, nouns, verbs and essays.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As a science geek who minored in English, I always figure my child will just hate all school in general someday! We need more young girls who excel at science and math, there aren't many of us! Not that her other grades were all too shabby :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

ah kira, now i know what to get your daughter for christmas! i was going to get her a calculator, but it seems its unnecessary!

youll have to get alex to teach me some good french sweary words kira!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Laura--if Ari fell madly in love with some science or math field, that would be tremendous. Her interests are all over the place. We'll see!

And he gave HIMSELF the title of Kira Rocks. I gave MYSELF the title of eat shit and die...LOL...I asked him to make sure I had it correct too. Laura, you would understand this I think...I was sick of my ex coming on msn and complaining that all my msn titles were in French. He pissed me off when we were talking about another issue, and so I switched it to that one so that I could gleefully go "eat shit and die" if he asked for the translation.

Yes, I know it was a juvenile moment. Oh well!

SC--well, maybe ON the table? haha!

Mandy--exactly. Well, actually I did very well in science, but the only math I ever did well in was calculus. Uhhh...don't ask me why the most advanced math I ever took was the ONLY one I ever understood. My brain just ain't right! Still, at her age, I assure you I was NOT getting 100's in math and science!

Ency--oh yeah, that's a happy table all right! properly serviced...haha! And I bet YOU received 100's in math and science at her age, so hush ;)

April--see, my whole family (IE siblings) were directed academically like you. I'm the freak. Hmmm...but I've decided it's ok to be the freak, so all's good! Your first instinct was correct: "write well"

And it's Alex who wanted to have sex with the table! So scold HIM ;) I think I confused folks with the fact that it's the American chick who has the French title and the French dude who has the English one...

A*--he's funny for having sex with a table? LOL Yeah, I think so too! haha!

Yes. See, you speak the good speak. Although honestly, the math I blew to bits (IE, did horridly) was geometry more than any other. I have a theory that a person is good at EITHER Geometry OR Calculus and that they take different sections of the brain to process. Please don't tell me now that Hof did well in both. I'll go cry if Renaissance man destroys my theory with his balanced brain! haha!

Mesabi red--my sister was one. She was a fine electrical engineer until she quit to stay home with her kids, too. And my mom's the math major. I feel that Ariana will DEFINITELY be given the right encouragement to do well in this field, and fortunately she has other female role models in the family! You're right: there are too few women in the math and science fields.

Cookie--haha! well, she doesn't seem to need a calculator yet because they are teaching them the basics right now...

Here's one to start out with: sale pute. It means dirty whore. Or try putain de dieu--whore of god. I'm sure Alex can add more later!

3:46 PM  
Blogger April said...

You didn't confuse people, just me. After I went back and read your post again, I picked up on the fact that HE was assisting with dinner preparations.

Sorry, I had a blonde moment.

Oh, I guess in my last comment when I said that I comprehend what I'm reading, doesn't look to valid now. ;(

Alex, stop having sex with the table! You'll get splinters in your weiner!!

10:34 AM  
Blogger April said...

It's more than ok to be the freak. *wink wink*

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home