My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Blogging

I was pondering this AM how I began to blog, and how my original purposes for blogging are different from the ones I seem to hold now.

Amanda had a blog before I did, and she gave me the link. Then she also gave me Angie's blog link (well, links...that's when she used to have two blogs). I found it a great way to keep up on Amanda in particular and to learn more about Angie. Amanda and I were very close at Premere Tech, but Angie left shortly after I arrived, so I only saw her a few times. We ate out once (Amanda, Angie, and I) and I immediately understood why Amanda adored her, so the blog was a great way to get to know Angie better. I started out as a reader.

Well...but it wasn't too long before I started to itch to make comments. I decided to set up a blog mostly to make comments on their blogs, but then I also decided hey, I could make a post here and there so they could see what was up with my life too. My posting in the beginning was very sporatic because that was my sole goal: give Amanda and Angie a way to know about my life if they desired.

Then I decided...why not give the blog addy to others I don't see as often as I would like so they, too, can keep up on the Life of Kira? I remember sending the addy to Joe at that time for starters, and then a few other friends received it as well. Some of them read the blog but never comment because (I suspect) they are not wanting to set up an account to comment. I have my blog set up to not receive anonymous comments because I think anonymous comments are cowardly. If you have something to say, be willing to back it up!

Anyway...

So, for a short while I was happy with this arrangement: only people who knew me had my link. I could post now on Amanda and Angie's blogs. Done!

Well, not done.

I'm trying to remember the order on things, but I believe it was Jezzy who found my blog and posted over here first. She was one of them, at least. Then Valerie posted over here, followed quickly by another person or two. I kept thinking to myself, why the hell do they care? They don't know me? HAHA! Yes, I hadn't gotten the whole blogging concept down pat yet! I peeked at their blogs out of curiosity. And then it just blossomed from there. I found a few other blogs I just had to read because they were interesting. I usually found them because they posted on Amanda or Angie's blogs...or they posted on mine.

I think the biggest turning point in my change of blogging attitude was when I posted a short story months ago. I knew that Amanda was going through a rough time, and she sincerely inspired me to finish up this short story I had been meaning to finish up like FOREVER. That's why there's a dog in it for the main character. If I had, at that point, been basing it solely on MY life, the main character would have had a cat! Haha! Well, Amanda was talking to WordWhiz at that point who was going through a similar crisis. WW read my story and wrote her response to it in such a way that I was totally moved and started to follow HER blog.

There, I thought. I'm done. I have a short list of blogs I follow outside of folks I know, and that's that.

HAH!

WW posted a link to Hof's blog one day due to the Why do men...? series of posts he was writing. I thought the post was hilarious, so I stayed and read more. Then he sketched me up! I was so touched that a man I had never met would offer to sketch his readers and then DID SO that I have remained a loyal reader since that point.

And who can read Hof's blog without following A*'s? Yes, it became apparent very quickly that Hof was brilliant because he realized exactly how great A* was. Why wouldn't I read the blogs of two genius folks?

Ok, so THEN I determined: I have enough blogs to follow. WE...ARE...DONE!

HAH!

The branching has continued, and I feel like shortly I will have one of those tremendous blogrolling lists that I've seen some folks have. I just can't help but get sucked in to certain people's blogs. For example, when I was reading comments on Hof's blog, I saw a few funny, well-written comments by Foilwoman...ok, so then I became a regular reader. She advocated her Very Best Friend in the whole world's blog...ok, so I began to read hers. She talked about how wonderful Cookie was...ok, so then I started reading Cookie's blog. I saw Laura write a quip on Hof's blog long ago that resonated with me, and I thought for some odd reason she might have something in common with me so I checked out her blog. Poof! I LOVED her sense of humor and quickly found out that, sadly, we DID have a few things in common. I say "sadly" because most folks wouldn't get all excited that there were more men out there in the world who neglected their families for drug and alcohol issues.

Determined not to read more blogs, I became stubborn. NO...MORE...BLOGS. I am reading enough, thanks.

Well, but then I realized that Andy's blog was all about a MAN who was madly in love with his wife and son, and I find it just settling and comforting to read his posts related to said issues. I know there are plenty of men out there who are great dads and husbands, but not many of them blog about it. And then April showed up and became my official Ego Feeder. Damn does she do a fantastic job! Ok, ok, I thought reluctantly...there's two more to watch.

We're DONE, right? No.

I suddenly had a blogger stumble upon my blog while she was trying to find examples of decent blogs from each of the 50 states. She added me to the 50 Blogs Project, and I immediately referred Laura to her since she hadn't had anybody for Kansas yet. I couldn't recommend the other folks' blogs I follow because either a) the state they write from was already taken by another blog or b) I don't KNOW what state you write from. Anyway, that was the next blog link...and then Chief Slacker started posting over here, so I added his to my list...same with SC who made it clear early on that he understands redheads since he's engaged to one...haha! Sandra's blog I really ended up peeking at for no reason I can pinpoint, but once I showed up I went...aw fuck, I guess I'll be coming back HERE TOO!

No really. I'm done now. NO MORE! Except, well, Mesabi Red's blog is kinda cool and I'm getting sucked in there too...

Why am I kidding myself? I came online to blog so that friends could keep in contact with me, and I've made a lot of NEW friends. There's a nice little community here, and I'm suddenly a part of it, and happily so! I guess I will keep blogging and finding new places to visit. I guess I'd better find a way to get to Vegas so that WordWhiz will give me that alcoholic beverage she has promised me! I guess I'm having more fun with this blogging thing than I ever imagined.

So, why did YOU start blogging? Is the reason the same now as it was then? I know my answer sure has shifted with time!

(EDIT: I'm adding in links...*grumbles*...I hate doing links...some people are link happy. Not me!)

12 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Malia! I just now realized you are blogging again. The last time I looked at your blog, it was stopping due to various issues...but you're at it again?

Hmmm checking out blog...damn, are you ever at it! LMFAO! That has to be the GREATEST half nekkid thursday picture I have EVER seen!!!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Your blog may be the only good thing I've ever been accused of inciting. lol

7:05 AM  
Blogger A* said...

Ok seriously? Are you reading my mind? I have a similar post in my Drafts right now!! LOL!

Thank you darling...
I feel the same way!! My favorites folder is HUGE! Naturally, you are in it!!

Heart ya hon! Can't wait to get back to the great emails.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Luv you Kira - I found your blog through one of your comments on Amanda's blog. You have one of those voices that just shines through.

I started blogging because I was depressed and needed to write. I wrote for myself. Anyway, I ended up deleting a lot of posts and kinda almost starting again on a more positive note. And I found people through other people - or they found me. It's very cool.
I used to get really excited when I had just one comment - but now I sit in front of the puter at breakfast and read through them all and I get to have a good laugh. Blog readers are fantastic.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I actually started with a personal Web page. From there, I began doing different sorts of things like my "soundtrack of my life page." From there, I just wanted to have some page that I updated every week... So, the CU blog was born. But then, people started telling me how I was going to get fired from my job for complaining about Roboto on the blog. I decided since the server where I was posted did belong to the employer, they had a good point. I think I'd started Jadedprimadonna before then, but it seemed like a safer place to post. I still want to restart the weekly CU blog, but I'm having so much trouble finding time.

I should add that I'm so glad you started blogging. It was a great way to realize that we we'd be good friends, based on having so many things in common.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I started because a friend had one and with so many of my friends scattered around the country, it seemed an easy way to keep them updated. It's actually made us closer in a way because we don't have to catch up on the phone. We can hop right into discussions about stuff.

I found your blog through... Sandra's I think? I love the little community of people I'll never meet! For some reason, I just really like the connections... It is pretty strange when you stop and think about though!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I started blogging for free therapy...and was shocked as hell when, after about a month, I got my first comment.

It's funny how the internet has become such a part of my personal life! I find myself trying other people's favorite recipes, taking advice left by strangers and lurking at blogs I feel unworthy to comment on, and then feeling superior to a pool of semi-illiterate bloggers.

I also came to the pitiful realization that, as a stay-at-home single mom,I became addicted to blogging because I had no adults to talk to during the day. Yes! I blog because I'm lonely. Sniff.

Now I have internet friends. I talk to one guy almost every day on IM, and I've never met him.

I'd LOVE to meet you in person someday, Kira!

6:31 PM  
Blogger SS said...

i started my first blog over at xanga because at the time that was the only one i had ever heard of. you see, i had this little crush on this hottie radio dj here in town and he was always taking about his xanga. i started reading his blog and then we started 'dating/fucking', whatever you want to call it (he was only 22 - me, 33). and eventually i created a blog just for fun and so him and i could flirt more. eventually i started to use it as a place to vent about my work frustrations. if you don't know, xanga is full of younger people and so i didn't have many readers. that didn't bother me because i really didn't know if i wanted people to read what i was venting about (especially anyone from work). after i lost my job and i saw from my statcounter that people from my old job were checking my blog daily, i stopped blogging because i didn't want them to read about me and my jobless self. at that same time i also lost my shrink (no job, no insurance) and after a few months of holding everything in, i found blogger from the google page and i decided to start a blog again so i could get my feeling out (it's cheaper than a doctor!).

i never really expected that anyone would read my blog. i love that i have met (sort of) so many awesome people through my blog. the only downside is that i actually hold back a little because i know people read my blog and i know that there are assholes out there that like to make rude and unnecessary comments on things i may write about. but most of the time i don't give a shit and i say whatever i want ;)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--well, inciting is your specialty, right? :)

A*--*hides hacked copies of A*'s drafts* no, no, no, I had NOoooooo idea.... ;) I find it interesting to see what brings people to blog, so I hope you are still going to put that sucker up! Oh, and sent you an email today. Be careful of what you wish for...that's all I can say!

Jezzy--thanks dear! Luv you too! I like how you can be so open, full of life, thrilled, and yet remain honest enough to share with us when you are NOT feeling like dancing happily. That's what kept me coming back to your blog after you posted at mine.

Angie--yes, you had both blogs up when I began reading your writings. I would check jaded daily and then wait for your "post's up" on the weekly blog. The weekly blog beauty tips often confused me, though, because I'm incompetent and beauty care products. I kept reading it hoping it would help me one day be as knowledgable as you (and my sister) seem to be about such things...haha! And yeah, after I started reading, I realized we would just HAVE to end up good friends one day!

MR--it's totally strange when you talk about friends and you've never even met them, but you get used to it (I found that out 5 years ago when I started to hang out at geek forums and make net friends). However, since I've been online a long time now, some of these folks I've met in person. I like that--it makes them become more "real" to me.

Laura--if you have msn messenger, email me (kiraln@charter.net) and I can add you to my list. I, too, began on the net as a whole due to loneliness. I was in the woods...pregnant with Jared...it was the beginning of the ex's freak out...and I needed escape. I didn't do blogging until last fall, though. Before that, it was geek forums and msn only! I would love to meet you too. You're on my list of folks from Blogworld I know would be fun to hang out with in person!

Sandra--Yes, in a lot of ways, it IS like free therapy. I know what you mean about knowing sometimes that others might be reading and wondering if you should post X or Y. I usually post what I want regardless, but there were a few times I know I deleted a line or reconstructed a sentence based on who was reading. It's my objective to enjoy writing and releasing, but HURTING anybody's feelings is not something I would ever do intentionally.

SC--LOL! So, how did modern man learn that? It was in hieroglyphics on a pyramid?

2:48 PM  
Blogger April said...

Yippy for being your official ego feeder!! I feel important!

I started blogging because my friend from work, Tami (fyrchk) had one. She showed me hers because she wanted me to read it, and give her my opinion. Then she had a light go off in her head and said that I should do one because I always send her funny emails. Rather than email her I should post it so the www could read it.

My intentions were to only write funny stories that happened to me or funny shit I'm thinking. But I'm not always thinking funny shit. Sometimes it's angry shit, sad shit, or not funny happy shit. Most of my posts were goihg to be about my husband and how dumb he is, but he's not dumb enough to go through my computer at home and find my blog. So there went the dumb husband posts.

Then it just turned into an addictive thing. Now I not only have made new computer friends, but I hold the title as Kira's official Ego Feeder!!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

yeah, I'm a total link slut, the more the better :O) Glad I could help a redhead foel good ;O) hehe SO when you coming by for grapes and chocolate? :-D

11:53 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Blogging to me fell out of writing for an amateur press alliance. The APA died, and left a hole that blogging helps with. But it's a different venue: I'm writing (what little I do these days) for a more general public, and that effects what I say. These days I often want to start some sort of total black evil anonymous vile-spewing blog from hell, and tell the world how I really feel.

Who do I blame my blogging on, though? MG, mostly.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home