My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Social Filter Fails Again

Today we were going over the process analysis essay that my English 155ers have to write. They have to pick out their own topics. One of the girls always whines about having to pick her own topic. She has issues with thinking for herself. In fact, she tries to make up every excuse in the world to get me to assign a topic on anything. For instance, they write journals for me, and each collection of journals has three assigned topics and three freewrites. She has tried so far to get me to come up with her three freewrites every time.

So, as she began whining today about not getting the topic assigned, I explained that she had outside interests and she should use those as a basis for what topic she should pick.

Girl, whining more: "But all I do is go to school, study, and sleep!"

Me, sighing: "Honey, you have a daughter you made somehow, so I KNOW that's a lie. I mean, I have two children and I know that they don't come from school, study, or sleep."

Class was uncontrollable for a few minutes. Oh well!

7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Gosh, I miss teaching sometimes.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are awful and that makes me love you even more!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO - excellent retort!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Malia--I teach college. It's community college, so my students typically range from 18 to 80 in age. Most of my kids are 18 to 22 range, however.

Amanda--LOL! What, you miss being able to be a smart ass to students?

Alex--I'm always happy to know you appreciate every side of me, love ;)

Angie--thanks! It came out of my mouth before I could stop it. Since it made her stop complaining, though, I'm glad I did...haha!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it! I received this great email today about the top excuses students give us for being late on a deadline, it's too funny, I'll post it tonight!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

ha! good call!

9:36 PM  
Blogger bibliomaniacal said...

Haha! I love it when your filter breaks down. Hey, at least you have a filter; I sometimes think I don't. For example, yesterday I was going over short story in 102, and a student asked me if the gun in the story was a phallic symbol. My response was, "No, it's not a phallic symbol in this story. Sorry, but you don't have dick. There's not dick in this story. If you need dick, wait until we get to 'The Man Who Was Almost a Man.' Then, you'll have dick. That story is total dick; however, this story is dickless." After the class collectively picked their mouths up off the floor and/or stopped cracking up at the guy, we were able to continue. Ah, like you, I love having no filter in class. :P

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home